This circuit involves 4 exercises, that you will do for 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, and 6 reps. Try to get through the full circuit, and then take a minute or two for some water before beginning the next round. You will need a weight.
- Walk- out pushups: From a standing position, hinge at the waist and place your hands on the floor. Keeping your feet in place, walk your hands out to a plank position, do a pushup, and walk your hands back and return to standing. That is one rep. Drop down to your knees for your pushup if you need to!
- Plank with row: Assume a high plank position while holding a dumbbell in each hand. Keeping your core tight, lift one weight by squeezing your shoulder blades together and pulling your elbow back by your side. Repeat on the other side. That is one rep.
- Bridge with chest press: Lying on your back, hold a dumbbell in each hand at chest level. Bend your knees, press down in your feet and lift your butt and lower back off the ground into a bridge position. Hold that position until you have completed your chest press reps.
- Sit-up with shoulder press: Lying on your back with your knees bent, hold a dumbbell or a medicine ball close to your chest. Sit up completely, and then press weight overhead. Return to chest and return to start position. For a challenge if you are using a medicine ball, toss up and catch once you are up, and then return to start.
- Bird dog: You may need a lighter weight than what you were using for the other exercises. Assume a tabletop position on hands and knees, holding a weight in each hand. From tabletop, lift your right leg and extend straight behind you, while simultaneously lifting your left arm straight in front of you. Return to tabletop and repeat other side, left leg and right arm. That is one rep.
Happy circuit training!
-Juliane, ACSM CEP