PLEASE NOTE, the purpose of this post is not to bash delicious, frothy, caffeinated beverages. I love these kinds of drinks, and as far as I’m concerned, if I’m going to buy a coffee rather than make my own, you better believe its going to have whipped cream on top. This post is really meant to show you how these treats can add up in the calorie department, and what that means for your exercise plan.
For drama’s sake, I went with grande, whole milk, whipped cream, the whole shebang versions of each drink.
1) (my favorite) Caramel Macchiato – 270 calories
2) White Chocolate Mocha – 430 calories
3) Cinnamon Roll Frappuccino – 510 calories
4) S’mores Frappuccino – 500 calories
5) Chai Tea Latte – 220 calories
6) Cinnamon Dolce Latte – 310 calories
7) Tiramisu Latte – 290 calories
8) Java Chip Frappuccino – 470 calories
9) Vanilla Bean Creme Frappuccino – 400 calories
10) Cafe Mocha – 400 calories
Of course everyone’s metabolic rate is going to be different. Working at lower intensities, i.e. walking on the treadmill, or on a flat will take more time to burn those calories, and working at a higher intensity will take less time.
These drinks aren’t terrible as long as you treat them as what they are: a treat. If a Frappuccino is your everyday coffee however, those calories will add up during the week, and no matter what fad trends are out there, research continues to show that calorie expenditure (be it by burning more, or eating less), is the best way to lose weight.
Final thoughts: Having a good day? Treat yourself! Having a bad day? Treat yourself. As long as you don’t treat yourself every day – moderation is key!
-Juliane, ACSM CEP