Its too cold for me to safely run outside today – I’ve already face planted on ice this year, and if I can avoid a repeat offense then I will. So here is a full hour long workout that will incorporate some cardio, strength, and core, with zero equipment. High intensity interval training – which is what this cardio portion is – can be hard, so cut back to just three sets of the cardio portion and work your way to five.
30 minutes: Cardio
- Jog in place: 2 minutes
- 30 jumping jacks
- 30 mountain climbers
- Squat jumps: 1 minute
- Plank burpees: 1 minute
Do five sets, with a minute water break in between each set.
20 minutes: Strength
- 10 Squats: stand with feet shoulder width apart, and touch your thumbs to your shoulders. Squat so that your elbows taps your knees. Do 12, and remember to sit back, and keep your knees from passing over your toes.
- Back lunges: While standing in place, step back into a lunge, and return to standing. Do 12 with each leg.
- Alternating pushups: While in plank position on hands and toes, drop down to elbows one arm at a time. Then push back up onto hands one at a time. Thats one rep, do 12.
- Tricep dips: grab a chair, I know you have one. Facing away from the chair with hands on either side and feet extended in front, and dip down for 12 reps. Lift one foot off the ground for an extra challenge.
- Bridge: On your back with knees bent at a 90 degree angle on the floor, lift your right leg and extend in front of you. Using your left leg, push against the floor and lift your butt up and lower. Do 12 reps and then switch legs.
Do this set twice.
10 minutes: Core
- Warmup 100: do 25 crunches, with legs extended out in front, bent at 90 degree angle, at table top, and straight up in the air.
- Russian twist: In a boat position, twist core to the right, and then to the left for 1 rep. Do 2 sets of 25.
- Superman: On your belly with arms and legs extended, lift your right arm and left leg, and switch. Do 2 sets of 25.
- Starfish crunch. On your back, with arms and legs extended, and keeping them extended and locked, crunch up and tap your right hand to your left toes. Then repeat touching your left hand to your right toes. Thats one rep, do two sets of 25.
- Toe circles. Laying on your back and propping yourself up on your elbows, point and lift your toes, and keeping them together, make 12 small circles to the right, and repeat to the left. Do another 12 each way making bigger circles.
All done! Great job! Reward yourself with a nice stretch and some water, and a job well done for getting your workout in for the day.